Most of the early residents of Isleta de San Juan lived within the protective walls of Old San Juan. When it became too crowded, people began moving to the surrounding areas such as today’s Puerta de Tierra neighborhood. To serve their religious needs, the brothers from the Redemptorist Order built a Roman Catholic church on this site in 1886. By 1915, this replacement church was constructed, along with a convent and school. The Neo-Gothic, concrete façade of San Agustín Parish Church features a rose window flanked by two asymmetrical bell towers.