At the north end of Dufferion Terrace and facing Château Frontenac is a 52 foot tribute to Samuel de Champlain. The French navigator founded Quebec on July 3, 1608. The bronze statue of the Father of New France was sculpted by Paul Chevré in 1898. The dome crowns the Louis S. St. Laurent Building. The namesake was a former Canadian prime minister. This was the main post office when it opened in 1873. At the base of the building is Le Musée du Fort. The museum traces the city’s history. The green and white striped canopy is the Frontenac Kiosk. This is an access point to the Saint Louis Forts and Châteaux National Historic Site. The archeological ruins contain sections of the first four forts built to defend the city during the 17th century.