The Convent of San Pablo was established in 1241. In the mid-16th century, Hernán Ruiz II was tasked with designing a chapter house for the friars. However, halfway through construction, the project stopped unfinished. During the War of Spanish Independence (1808 – 1814), the building was converted into a prison then later fell into ruins. After a significant restoration in 2009, Sala Orive opened as an exhibition hall, auditorium and theatre. The name means, “Living room of Orive” because it is located adjacent to the monastery’s old Orchard of Orive.