Saint Mary’s Dominican Church is a landmark on Pope’s Quay facing the River Lee. Those six Ionic fluted columns are 33 feet tall. The neoclassical design was donated by architect Kearns Deane. Above the pediment is a statue of the Virgin Mary with outstretched hands. The religious icon was sculpted by James Cahill. This Roman Catholic church opened in 1839.