Canada’s oldest farmers market was established in Saint John in 1785. The current Saint John City Market was built facing King’s Square in 1876. The 12 to 24 inch thick brick façade is credited with saving the building from the great fire the following year. The National Historic Site of Canada has a Second Empire design. City Market is filled with vendors selling everything from bakery goods, produce, seafood and meats plus crafts. This is the Germain Street entrance. Above the door is a sculpture by Carol Taylor named Figurehead. The decoration is similar to those found on the bows of old sailing ships. The artwork complements the interior timber roof which is shaped similar to the hull of a ship.