The English settlers built their first Anglican church in Holetown in 1628. The following year it was designated as the Parish Church of Saint James. The winds of a 1675 hurricane were devastating. The stone successor then stood on “God’s Acre” for almost two hundred years. It was replaced with this current building in 1874. The original bell hanging in the belfry was cast in 1696.