The Royal Scottish Academy was established in 1826 with the mission to promote art and architecture. It also houses a historic collection of related work spanning back nearly 200 years. In 1911, it moved into this neo-classical building on The Mound. The Academy is managed by prominent Scottish artists and architects. The over 100 Academicians are nominated and elected by their community of professionals.