Muhammed II was the Nasrid ruler of the Emirate of Granada from 1273 until 1302. During his reign, he commissioned the Palace of Almanjarra (Huerta Grande de la Almanjarra). The royal estate remained in the Nasrid dynasty until 1492 when Aixa, the mother of Muhammad XII, was vacated and sent into exile after the Muslim capitulation to the Christians. It was then gifted to the Dominicans. They renamed it the Royal Quarter of Santo Domingo. It is free to walk among the gardens and tour the Royal Room’s central hall and side chambers decorated with a Nasrid motif. This splendid historical property was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1919.