Royal Coat of Arms on Custom House in Dublin, Ireland - Encircle Photos

Royal Coat of Arms on Custom House in Dublin, Ireland

After the United Kingdom was formed in 1800, Ireland adopted the lion and unicorn as part of their escutcheon. This royal coat of arms was soon displayed on most government buildings until they became a frequent target of attacks during the early 20th century. One of the few remaining in Dublin is this version by Edward Smyth on the Custom House. When the Republic of Ireland was established in 1943, they adopted a gold Gaelic harp on a blue shield as the heraldic symbol. The Clàrsach dates back to the 10th century.

VIEW MAP

Memorial Rd, North Dock, Dublin 1, Ireland

Directions

Share this Photo