In 1788, the first governor of New South Wales, Arthur Phillip, claimed 84 acres of property for his farm and home. The reserve was called the Phillip Domain. When British Major General Lachlan Macquarie served as the last governor from 1810 until 1821, he divided the land with a stone wall into the Inner and Outer Domains. The former became the Government Gardens in 1816. The following year, Charles Fraser became the official botanist. He was succeeded by Charles Moore who retained the role of the Botanic Gardens Director for 48 years. These early pioneers helped shape the four precincts of the Royal Botanic Gardens. Collectively, there are 74 acres of gorgeous flowers, greenspace, ponds, and pavilions. Pictured here are the Lower Gardens framed by Sydney’s skyline.