In 1690, the British assaulted the French colonists for three days during the Battle of Québec. The attack was repelled. Afterwards, Louis Frontenac, then governor of New France, determined the city’s fortifications and batteries were insufficient. He ordered a new bastion to better protect Place-Royal. Batterie Royale was finished a year later. These guns were no match for the British when they successfully struck again during the Québec Siege of 1759. Over time, Royal Battery disappeared beneath new construction in Lower Town. The defensive walls and guns were restored during the mid-1970s.