The Society of St Andrews Golfers was established in 1754. When William IV of the United Kingdom joined in 1834, it was retitled The Royal and Ancient Golf Club. Surprising, membership was restricted to men until 2015. This clubhouse was built in 1854 and expanded several times through 2002. From 1897 until 2004, the Club was the recognized authority on golf rules, equipment and events across the world. That is now the responsibility of The R&A except in Mexico and the United States.