Toronto’s first railway became operation in 1853. By the end of the century, several rivals also served the city. The busy train traffic and stations near the waterfront became known as Railway Lands. Beginning in the mid-1960s, the rail yards began to transform. The first addition was CN Tower. This investment was followed by the Metro Convention Centre, the SkyDome and residential plus commercial high-rises. The historic core was converted into the 17 acre Roundhouse Park. The main structure, John Street Roundhouse, became a railway museum, entertainment complex, a brewery and restaurant. Railfans of all ages will especially like seeing the old locomotives and train cars on display.