There are several statues and monuments in the Princes Street Gardens. The most beautiful is the golden Ross Fountain. It was sculpted by Jean-Baptiste Klagmann near Paris, France for London’s 1862 International Exhibition. The cast-iron work of art was then purchased by Edinburgh resident Daniel Ross who gifted it to the city. Because of the naked female forms – allegories for poetry, industry, art and science – it took ten years of heated debate before installing the fountain.