Four rose gardens were planted on either side of the Old Parliament House between 1931 and 1938. Two of the gardens were designated as the Senate Courtyard. On the opposite side of the building is this House of Representatives Garden. The two flowerbeds for the lower house are named Macarthur Rose Garden and Ladies Rose Garden. This respite for Members of Parliament became overgrown when Parliament moved to their new facility on Capital Hill in 1988. The manicured grounds were revitalized in 2000 according to the original plans drawn by architect John Smith Murdoch in 1926.