At the main entrance of Shizuoka Sengen Jinja is this tower gate. The two-storied, wooden rōmon is painted in red lacquer and accented with gold leaf. After an extensive fire to the Sengen Jinja complex in 1804, the Tokugawa shogunate spent 60 years rebuilding the shrines. This gate was finished in 1815. In the foreground is a Japanese pedestal lantern called a tachidōrō. Notice the relief of the lion along the side.