In 1786, the Danish Crown granted Reykjavík market rights, which in effect gave it town status. The following year, architect Andreas Kirkerup created the Neoclassical design for the Reykjavík Cathedral. It was finished and consecrated in 1796. Dómkirkjan í Reykjavík serves parishioners of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Iceland and is the seat of the Bishop of Iceland. The cathedral also hosts a special service for the Opening of Parliament and the inauguration of Iceland’s president.