From 1358 until 1808, Dubrovnik was the center of the Republic of Ragusa. Its territory was called Dalmatia. It had a geographical footprint similar to the coastal areas of today’s Croatia. The republic’s functioning governor was the Rector. The original Rector’s Palace was built and rebuilt during the 15th century and after earthquakes in 1520 and 1667. It is now the Museum of Dubrovnik’s History Department. To the left are the Gradska Kavana or Town Café, the City Hall (Vijećnica) and the Bell Tower.