In early 1945, Allied Forces dropped nearly 4,000 tons of bombs on Dresden. The air raids decimated the city while killing over 20,000 people. The slow process of restoration began after World War II. Yet the ruins of Frauenkirche – one of the most beloved sites in Old Town – were left as rubble for nearly 50 years. The first Church of Our Lady was built during the 11th century. The Lutheran church was replaced with a handsome Baroque design in 1743. In 1992, plans got underway to reconstruct Frauenkirche. While architects used 3D technology to duplicate the former design, people inventoried every stone so they could be reused like a giant jigsaw puzzle. Old photos were collected from citizens to help duplicate the interior. On October 30, 2005, Frauenkirche Dresden was reconsecrated.