Queen Victoria Building in Sydney, Australia - Encircle Photos

4 Queen Victoria Building in Sydney, Australia

A marketplace has operated in central Sydney since the early 1800s. Toward the end of that century, Scottish architect William Priestly MacIntosh was tasked with creating a grand replacement. He selected a Richardsonian Romanesque style made popular during the mid-19th century by Boston architect Henry Hobson Richardson. The Queen Victoria Building opened in 1898 as a magnificent Victorian arcade. In the center of the 620 foot market is a copper dome flanked on either side by marble statuary created by William Priestly MacIntosh. This version along George Street is called the “Guardian Genius of the City.”

VIEW MAP

455 George St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia

Directions

Share this Photo