The demarcation between King Street Wharf along Darling Harbour (on the left) and Cockle Bay Wharf (on the right) is Pyrmont Bridge. The first wooden link across Cockle Bay opened in 1858. It was replaced by the current 1,211 foot span in 1902. It was originally designed by Percy Allan to accommodate cars crossing to the suburb of Pyrmont. Since 1981, the bridge is reserved for pedestrians and bicycles. In the center are two swing gates. Within a minute, they can create a 43 foot opening to allow the passage of any ship taller than 23 feet.