The Puerta de Toledo gets its name as the prior entrance into Madrid from the city of Toledo. The 62 foot tall, triumphal arch was commissioned during the Napoleonic occupation of Madrid. The monument was finished by architect Antonio Aguado in 1827 during the second reign of King Ferdinand VII. On top of this northern façade is a sculpture grouping of two angels embracing the city’s coat of arms. The gate is located within a roundabout called Glorieta de Toledo.