The first bridge to span the ravine dividing Ronda was constructed in 1734. Within seven years it collapsed, plunging 50 people to their deaths. Famed architect José Martin de Aldehuela was commissioned to develop a better design. Construction began in 1751 and finished in 1793 using ashlar stone from the base of the Tajo Gorge. The Puente Nuevo crosses over the Guadalevín River at a height of 323 feet, connecting Ronda’s Old and New Towns. In the center of the three-arched New Bridge is a 60 foot structure. It has been a guard house, torture chamber and prison before becoming a museum.