The First General Assembly of the Island of Saint John occurred in 1773. Five years later, it was renamed the General Assembly of Prince Edward Island. Since 1847, the legislators have presided in this Neoclassical structure designed by Isaac Smith. Initially called the Colonial Building, the name changed to the Province House after Prince Edward Island joined the Canadian Confederation in 1873. This building is where the historic Charlottetown Conference was held in 1864. During the six-day meeting, the delegates made the first major step toward the unification of Canada (approved by Queen Victoria in 1867). The success of the event is why Charlottetown claims to be the “Birthplace of Confederation.” Renovation of the Province House began in 2015.