The first agricultural fair was held in Toronto in 1846. The end-of-summer festival then moved to a different Canadian city each year. In 1879, Toronto decided to permanently host its own annual fair. It was named the Canadian National Exhibition in 1912. By 1920, it became the world’s largest annual fair. Today, about 1.5 million people attend the 18 day event held at Exhibition Place. At the east entrance is this 65 foot high triumphal arch. On top is Nike, the winged goddess of victory. The sculpture was created by Charles McKechnie. This flamboyant archway is called Princes’ Gates because of the inauguration by Edward, the Prince of Wales, and Prince George in 1927.