After the British abandoned Brimstone Hill Fortress in 1853, the once formidable military complex began to decay. Many of the structures fell into ruins. Some restoration began in the early 1900s. But a strong commitment was made in 1965 to revitalize this historic treasure of Saint Kitts. Prince Charles was on hand to open the first restored building. In his honor, it was named the Prince of Wales Bastion. The former barracks and powder magazine is now a conference center. A similar royal ceremony was conducted in 1985 when Queen Elizabeth announced the formation of the Brimstone Hill National Park.