Preysing Palais was built in 1728 for Johann Maximilian, a Count of Preysing. The Preysing family lived here and another nearby palace for generations. The Counts of Preysing had a huge impact on Munich’s social and political culture. The former mansion’s facade displays a Rococo design characterized by elaborate ornamentation crafted from stucco. This late-Baroque style was soon imitated by numerous structures in Old Town Munich. Preysing Place is equally impressive inside, especially the grand staircase supported by caryatids (columns resembling women).