Handsome! That is the short description of the Portland City Hall. This is the third rendition of the municipal headquarters built on this site within fifty years. Two predecessors were destroyed by fire; the first in 1866 and the second in 1908. This version by architect John Carrere is impressive, especially for the size of Portland in 1912. The Beaux-Arts-style building only has four floors. Yet, when measured to the top of the weathervane on the clock tower, its 130 feet qualifies as one of the city’s tallest structures. Officed here are the mayor, city council members, their staffs and various municipal departments.