When Porte des Bombes was built in 1721, it was the gate for a new wall into Floriana at the west side of Valletta. It was part of a fortification project initiated by Ramon Perellos y Roccaful. His coat of arms adorns the top of the Baroque structure. He was a Grand Master of the Order of Malta from 1697 until 1720. At the turn of the 19th century, this spot was occupied by Napoleon’s French troops during the Siege of Malta.