Dubrovnik’s primary promenade is Stradun street or what the locals call Placa. The latter is a derivative from the Latin word “platea” which simply means “street.” It runs for about 1,000 feet from the west to the east and roughly divides the town in half. Its two bookends are the Franciscan Monastery Tower (shown on the left) and the Bell Tower. This main street was created during the 13th century and was paved with limestone around 1468. The buildings on either side were all built after the 1667 earthquake and have a uniform, Baroque appearance in adherence to strict construction laws.