Dubrovnik was under the rule of the Republic of Venice from 1205 until 1358. But even when they became a free state, Venetian art continued to influence their architecture. In Italy, this image of the Virgin Mary cradling the crucified Christ is called Pietà. Flanking her are the statues of St. Jerome on the left and St. John the Baptist. On top is God the Father. This exquisite ensemble was carved by Leonard and Petar Petrović towards the end of the 15th century. It is above the entry to the Little Brothers church which is part of the Franciscan Monastery.