The Judiciary of Malaysia has evolved extensively since the Supreme Court was founded at Fort Cornwallis in 1808 based on a Royal Charter of Justice issued by King George III. The following year, the British East India Company built George Town’s first courthouse. For about 29 years during the mid-19th century, it also had jurisdiction over Singapore and Malacca. In 1903, the new Penang High Court Building opened with a Palladian design by architect John McCallum. The historic structure was extended in 2005. The Malay name is Mahkamah Tinggi Pulau Pinang.