Parliament of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia - Encircle Photos

19 Parliament of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia

Captain Cook created the name New South Wales when he discovered the continent in 1770. 18 years later, Sydney was established as a penal colony and Captain Arthur Phillip was named its first governor. In 1824, a Legislative Council was established. Within five years, they started meeting in the north wing of Rum Hospital. The Georgian building then evolved into the Parliament House. In 1842, a chamber was pre-fabricated in Glasgow and added to the structure. More expansions occurred in the 1970s. However, its historic core – listed on the New South Wales Heritage Register – still serves NSW’s Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council. Sydney is the capital of Australia’s most populated state.

VIEW MAP

6 Macquarie St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia

Directions

Share this Photo