21 Parliament House of Tasmania in Hobart, Australia

After Tasmania separated from New South Wales in 1825, the independent colony established a Legislative Council and met in the Government House (demolished in 1858). In 1841, the council moved to the newly finished Custom House designed by John Lee Archer. He was the civil engineer and colonial architect plus a magistrate for Van Diemen’s Land from 1827 until 1852. Since 1904, the Parliament of Tasmania’s House of Assembly and Legislative Council have occupied this entire radiant, bronze-colored edifice on Salamanca Place.


1 Salamanca Pl, Hobart TAS 7000, Australia


Share this Photo