Alþingishúsið was built in 1881 based on the plans of architect Ferdinand Meldahl. For nearly 100 years, the structure in the heart of Reykjavík served several institutions including the National Library, National Gallery and the offices of Iceland’s president. In 1973, it was converted into the Parliament House where the 63 elected members of the unicameral government still conduct their debates. The Parliament of Iceland, named Alþingi, was established in 930, making it the world’s oldest. This rear view is part of Alþingisgarðurinn (Parliament’s Garden).