Members of the Carmelites, a religious order founded in the 12th century, arrived in Cádiz in 1762. Their Roman Catholic church was finished in 1743 based on the work of architect José Balaños. The most elaborate section of the exterior is the marble entrance flanked by columns with Corinthian capitals. The balance of the façade is decorated with salmon-colored Ionic pilasters. On top are a pair of tiered, pierced belfries. This is now the Parish Church of Our Lady of Carmen and Santa Teresa.