The lighthouse on Paradise Island at the west entrance of Nassau Harbor was built in 1817, making it the oldest in the West Indies. Originally called the Hog Island Lighthouse, the 69 foot structure has a whitewashed, brick base with a red lantern. For a few years prior to its installation, Fort Fincastle at the top of Bennett’s Hill had the only beacon to help sailors navigate at night. That function was transferred to the neighboring Water Tower when it was built in 1928. Lighthouse aficionados might also enjoy seeing the 56 foot East End Point on New Providence Island.