This site has historically been the epicenter of political power starting with the Romans in the first century. The dominant Uberti Family ruled here in the 13th century. After Palazzo Vecchio was finished in 1322, it was used by the Signoria government followed by the Medici dukes. During the 19th century, this was the capital of Italy. Architecturally, the fortress kept evolving and growing until about 1540. Today, it is a wonderful museum.