Palazzo della Consulta was commissioned by Pope Clement XII, designed by Ferdinando Fuga and finished in 1735. Until 1870, it housed Sacra Consulta. The Pontifical Court was the equivalent of a supreme court. Later occupants were: the ruling Triumvirate during the Roman Republic; the residence of Prince Umberto before becoming King of Italy in 1878; the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; followed by the Ministry of Colonies. Since 1955, Palazzo della Consulta has been the courthouse for the Constitutional Court of Italy. The panel of 15 judges hear cases on constitutional matters, powers of the Italian Republic and judicial issues regarding the country’s president.