In 1751, Sebastián Peñalver – a lawyer and Havana major – commissioned this extravagant residence while the adjacent Havana Cathedral was only two years into construction. The Spanish Colonial design features a portico behind an arcade of Doric columns. In later years, the mansion was owned by Antonio Ponce de León, the 1st Marqués of Aguas Claras. This title was bestowed on him in 1752 by Ferdinand VII, the King of Spain. Today, this Andalusian-style palacio is the El Patio Restaurant located on the west side of Plaza de la Catedral.