Directly behind and connected to the Carondelet Palace is the Vice President of the Republic Building. The neoclassical design by architect Augusto Ridder was finished in three sections from 1927 through 1937. They originally housed the Ecuadorian Post Office, the Ministry of Public Works and the Ministry of Government. During a significant restoration in 1996, the interior became a single unit. Although the Ministry of Government remained as a tenant, the other agencies moved out to make room for the Vice President’s residence and offices.