At the end of the 15th century, the Catholic Monarchs gifted to Don Vasco Martin de Salvatierra some Muslim homes called Casas Pintadas (Painted Houses). In the early 16th century, he converted them into an elaborate residence. During the late 1700’s, the mansion was reconstructed and expanded by his descendants based on a design by Martín de Aldehuela. The four nude, very curious caryatids represent Mesoamerican slaves from the pre-Columbus period. These symbolize the family’s enrichment from the Spanish conquest of the Americas. Within the pediment is the coat of arms of the Salvatierra family.