The centerpiece of Congressional Plaza is an elaborate water fountain graced with bronze sculptures by artist Jules Lagae. In the center is the Allegory of the Republic. Called the Monument of the Two Congresses, these sculptures celebrate the centennial anniversary of two assemblies. Together they achieved Argentina’s independence from the Spaniards in 1816. This gorgeous park is one of three squares in front of the Palace of the Argentine National Congress. A green, 260 foot dome crowns the white marble façade. The Neoclassical design by architect Vittorio Meano was finished in 1906. The palace is a National Historic Landmark.