These tourists are paddling along the calm waters of the River Nore. On the left is John’s Quay and ahead is John’s Bridge. Both are named after Saint John the Evangelist. This single-arch, concrete span designed by L. G. Mouchel was constructed in 1910. It is the fourth bridge in this position since the early 13th century. The previous ones were destroyed by floods in 1487, 1584 and 1763. In the background is the Kilkenny Castle.