This is the Outer Main Gatehouse of Caerphilly Castle and the tourist entrance to the attraction. In the 13th century, there were two draw bridges before reaching this point. Inside was a third bridge leading to the East Gatehouse. Imagine being a soldier of Llwelyh ap Gruffudd, the last Prince of Wales, ordered to storm this citadel in 1270 under a barrage of arrows and javelins fired from five levels of slits in the tower. Despite those odds, they succeeded in burning the half-finished castle. However, Gilbert de Clare reclaimed it within a year and continued its construction through 1290, making it into one Wale’s greatest and innovative strongholds.