This square was constructed at the request of Franciscans who complained the merchants at Plaza de San Francisco were disturbing their prayer in the basilica and convent. As a result, when it opened in 1559, it was called Plaza Nueva (New Square). Since then, it has had five other names and is now Plaza Vieja (Old Town Square). Since an extensive renovation in the 1980s, this square sparkles with color. Within the porticos of the 18th century, colonial buildings are art galleries, boutique stores and restaurants like this one. La Factoria Plaza Vieja is also a microbrewery, the perfect place for a cold beer on a hot afternoon.