The first chapel was built here in 1670 when the area was only a modest Spanish settlement. In 1692, Carlos II, the King of Spain, declared it a parish church at the same time Ponce was founded by royal degree. The Catholic church was replaced in 1839 and then declared a cathedral in 1924. The twin square towers were revised in 1937 based on a design by architect Francisco Porrata Doria. Each is crowned with a silver dome and a crucifix.