In front of the 18th century Oscar E. Henry Customs House is the Freedom Fountain. In the center is a statue of John “Moses” Gottlieb, also called General Buddhoe. On July 2 and 3, 1848, he led a massive rebellion on this spot. By blowing in a conch shell, he attracted as many as 8,000 slaves. They demanded their freedom. Fearing a bloody riot, Governor-General Peter von Scholten agreed to abolish slavery. This fountain was erected on the 150th anniversary of the emancipation proclamation.