The Grand Opera House stood here from 1890 until destroyed by a fire in 1923. The once opulent venue for vaudeville was replaced by the Orpheum Theatre in 1928. This was the year after The Jazz Singer was released, the first full-length movie with synchronized sound. Subsequent talkies sparked the feverish construction of movie palaces and the Golden Age of Hollywood. This historic venue along Beale Street was designed by Cornelius and George Rapp. The Chicago architect firm designed over 400 movie palaces across the United States. After three major renovations (1982, 1996 and 2014), the Orpheum Theatre has become a popular stage for Broadway productions. In 2015, the Halloran Centre for Performing Arts & Education opened adjacent to the Orpheum.