From 1102 until 1526, Dubrovnik was part of the Kingdom of Croatia in union with Hungary. Symbolic of this protective arrangement was a legendary knight named Orlando (also called Rolando). A larger than life sculpture of the hero stands on this column bearing his name in Luža Square. It was sculpted in 1418. During the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, the platform on top was used by orators for proclamations. The square was the venue for public punishments.